Thanks for your interest in writing for The Kenyan Tourist!
The Kenya Tourist seeks practical, actionable advice on writing — pieces that will help writers on their own writing journey.
Below are the answers to some frequently asked questions about submitting a blog post for consideration to The Write Life.
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I write about?
To get a sense for the type of work we publish, read our site!
As you can see, our posts cover all areas of the writing life, including: freelancing, travelling, blogging, lifestyle and destinations.
Here are some topics we’d love to publish more about:
- How to earn money while trvaelling — our best posts include the author’s experience and advice or feature another writer who has been successful
- Advanced tips for freelance writers, including strategies for earning a living as a traveller
- Ideas for running and growing your own blog — unique ideas we haven’t heard before are best
- List posts a la “34 Travel Magazines and Websites That Pay Freelance Writers” and “15 of the Best YouTube Channels for Writers”
- Advice from people who work in the writing world: editors, literary agents, publishers, illustrators, etc. If that’s you, we’d love to hear what you have to say!
- Tips and tricks for traditional book publishing and self-publishing
- Stories of writers who have seen success… a la “This Writer Used X to Earn X This Year”
- Personal essays on writing like this post: “How Anne Lamott Helped This Woman Beat Writer’s Block”
Should I pitch you my idea before writing the post?
Sure! Pitch your idea by emailing our managing editor Jessica Lawlor at firstname.lastname@example.org (Note that we can’t guarantee publication though until we review a completed submission. We’re happy to evaluate your pitch though before you get to writing!)
We also consider fully-drafted pieces.
When will I hear back from you after I send my pitch?
Please allow up to two weeks for our managing editor to respond to your pitch.
Have any tips for ensuring my piece is a fit for The Kenya Tourist?
- Please write in the “you” voice as much as possible, then support your advice with personal experience or stories.
- Posts should be written in blog style, with short paragraphs, numbered lists, bullets and lots of white space.
- Including a few sub-headings is much appreciated (we love to use H2!)
- Only one space between sentences, please!
- We know the Oxford comma is a hotly-debated topic in the writing world, but we follow AP Style and therefore ask that you don’t use the Oxford comma in your submission.
How should I submit my post?
Please submit your post as a Google document.
We use Google Docs because it allows us to easily collaborate with several people without passing around new versions of a Word Doc. If you’ve never shared a Google Doc before, here are easy instructions. (Don’t forget to give us editing power.)
Tip: It’s best to create your post as a Google Doc, rather than uploading a Word Doc to Google. Sometimes if you take the latter route, we can’t edit even if you tell the doc to allow us to do so.
How long should my posts be?
Aim for 800-1,000 words.